Monday, April 16, 2012

God Stops

Several years ago I started a Beth Moore Bible Study called "Believing God".  I didn't finish it when I started and really I didn't get very far at all.  Since I had Lyla I was trying to be more diligent in my Bible studies so I wanted something deeper.  So, I pulled out this study and decided to finish it.

The next two weeks for the study are about remembering God and looking back at your life to reflect on where God has been in your life.  Also known as "God Stops".  I was a little hesitant at first because you don't always want to go digging around in your past and I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to remember anything that God has done.  I know that He's been in my life and has controlled it, but what if I can't remember those things.

Before I started I prayed for the Holy Spirit to remind me of Jesus' works throughout my life.  

This morning it focused on the first six years of my life.  I was thinking...what?  I can't remember that and I wasn't even a Christian yet.

Friends, God works in our lives before we even believe in Him and acknowledge his presence. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.  When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.  Psalm 139:13-15.

I have always loved this verse, but today it meant much more!  The circumstances for my birth are just a miracle in itself and then let's add my mom's birth and Lyla's birth and it just shows how amazing God is! 


My mom was born out of an affair that two office workers had in Oklahoma. Just think if you were that women's shoes...got pregnant from some guy and he doesn't want to raise this child and doesn't want anyone to know that he got her pregnant.  She could have had an abortion or decided to raise this baby by herself, but God's plan was for her to be adopted!  Praise the Lord!  A great family from Dallas adopted my mom.  (Nothing against raising a child by yourself, but God was at work here and had planned for my mom to be in Dallas)  My mom always hoped that her birth mom moved on and ended up with a family of her own.  (Which is why my mom never tried to contact her birth mom).  The circumstance for my mom's birth are just amazing.  God uses all sorts of situations for good.  From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.   Acts 17:26  I just love this!  Where you are and where you've been is what God had planned.  My mom's birth story is what God planned for her!  I have some friends that have put kids up for adoption as well as friends that are trying to adopt!  God has placed these babies on Earth for a reason.  So exciting!

My birth is a miracle, too.  (Honestly, the fact that everything can go right in conception and birth, it's a miracle that any baby is born)  My mom had breast cancer in her 20's and had lots of radiation for her treatment.  Doctor's gave her a slim chance to have children.  My parents prayed like crazy and Woodlawn prayed like crazy.  She had two miscarriages and my parents started looking into adoption.  My mom obviously thought it would be great to adopt since she had been adopted herself.  Well, while they were looking into adoption, my mom got pregnant with me!  Lots of prayers went into her pregnancy to keep both of us healthy.  My mom even fell one time and dislocated her knee and was on crutches while pregnant.  I can't even imagine!

Lyla's birth story is simply that she was "unplanned" by Ryan and I but totally planned by God.  I still remember my shock as I saw the words "pregnant" on the test.  I kept waiting for the word "not" to appear above it.  I really hesitate to say she's "unplanned" because it makes her sound like she's unwanted which is so untrue!  We are thankful for Lyla every day. I think Lyla's personality will be one to always keep us on our toes!  We'll never know what to expect.  God is going to use her in big ways!  Ryan and I have also learned a lot through Lyla's birth.  About ourselves, our relationship with each other and that God is the one in control of our lives, not us :)   My cousin told me after she got pregnant with her "surprise" that she told God, "I know that you are in control of my life, but I still thought we were on the same page" HA!  I think that it's important for Lyla to know that God totally planned for her to be on this Earth.

I pray that each one of you would look back and remember where God has been in your life! He's been there.  I will share more as I remember what God has been doing in my life over these next few weeks!  







1 comment:

  1. Jess,

    It's obvious that Lyla comes from a long line of special miracles!! I can't wait to hear about more of your God Stops!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete